Class Code: 0005
Per NCCI's Scopes Code Description:
Code 0005 is applied to all acreage or facilities devoted to the propagation of trees, shrubs, plants, or flowering shrubs or plants not included under Code 0035. The classification includes retail or wholesale sales conducted from the nursery location.
Code 0005 operations involve planting, fertilizing, watering, trimming, potting and repotting plants, and transplanting at the nursery location. Additionally, these insureds may deliver their products to customers and also plant these products at their customers’ location(s).
Sod growing and harvesting operations are included under Code 0037.
- Tree planting by contractors, including the cultivation and harvesting of these trees by the same contractor, is assigned by analogy to Code 0005.
Related Operations Not Classified to Code 0005:
- Garden centers that are located away from the nursery location that do not conduct propagation or harvesting activities but are principally involved in the sale of trees, shrubs, bushes, and plants are classified to Code 8001. Refer to Code 8010 when garden center receipts are principally derived from the sale of gardening equipment.
- When planting operations are more than incidental to an insured’s nursery operation, Code 0042 is applicable to the planting operations.
- Refer to Code 0106 for tree maintenance and Code 2702 or Code 2709 for tree harvesting performed by contractors not involved with the original planting.
- Sod dealers who do not grow sod are properly classified to Code 0005.
- Sod installers are classified to Code 0042.
CROSS-REF. FARM—TREE PLANTING—REFORESTATION & DRIVERS
(N/A AK, ID, MA, MT, OR, TX)
Note: Applicable to contractors planting trees in forests. Often this operation is performed after a logging operation and under contract with the US Forest Service. This classification includes any site preparation necessary for tree planting operations, whether performed by hand or machine, as well as the actual planting of the seedlings, which is usually performed by hand. Refer to Code 2702 for tree harvesting and maintenance operations.
Code 0005 is applicable to contractors planting trees in forests. Often this operation is performed after a logging operation and under contract with the US Forest Service. This classification includes:
1. Scarification—this involves loosening the soil to make replanting easier. It is generally accomplished with Cat or tractor.
2. Site preparation—usually performed by hand or machine. This includes the clearing of underbrush and small trees from an area to be replanted.
3. Tree planting—a hand operation. This involves the use of a hoedad to create a small hole in which the seeding is planted.
4. Bud capping, netting, or tubing—used to prevent game and rodents from damaging the trees. Plastic tubes, cartons, stockings, etc., are manually placed on or around the seedlings.